Yesterday I tried my best not to celebrate the fact that one year ago I chose to start my own quarantine here in Italy.  A village very near where we live had been blockaded by police because they had an outbreak of the covid virus.  There were three main places in Italy at that time and the virus was just beginning to scare a lot of people and make them consider the future.  

England

My wife had flown to Great Britain for a conference and I headed to the supermarket to "stock up" on items I thought we would need.  How foolish it was to think that this pandemic would be finished in a few months.  More foolish to think 6 months, and now it has been one year and I am still, in a fashion, hiding out.  

Last night I watched to Mars Landing and I saw the workers at NASA wearing double masks which is now being suggested as a big help against the new form of the same virus but coming from Africa where its makeup has been somewhat changed into a more contagious version.  I have been wearing our home made masks, and they have done well, but if I go where there are a lot of people I will wear a mask that my wife has to use at work, plus the home made one with the printed music symbols.   I am hoping that within a few weeks I might receive a letter telling me where to report for a vaccination, and I will double mask it for sure when I go.  

Italy's Stats Lowering Again

My village has done well during this pandemic, the residents wearing masks and finally the teenagers wear them at all times.  They were a hard case during the summer, as I would see them in groups of 4 or 5 without masks.  I think that the school authorities and their parents have convinced them that if they want to be able to go to school they will have to wear protection.  Once a few teachers contract the virus then the school will have a big problem, and of course the kids taking it home to the family.  Also remember, that here in Italy, grandma and grandpa, aunts and uncles live in homes near each other.  

shows the pen
Since I am retired I would not have much to do during the day, no  yard to keep trimmed or things to touch up.  So I am free to paint in the mornings (see below) and after lunch I work on calligraphy.  


The Fraktur font is still popular in German speaking countries.   I am also working on other fonts, but this is the one that receives most of my time.  

There are many wonderful YouTube sites showing calligraphy, and I have purchased a few books, one that shows about a hundred alphabets in the font.  Included with these alphabets are symbols telling the student which direction to make a mark and showing the order in making them.  

I mostly use pens made by Pilot called the parallel pen.  There are four different sizes of blades, and each one will use a different size of letter in comparison to the others.  It is so interesting to me to see how those copyists worked and wrote hundreds of years ago before printing was invented.  Living in Europe we have had many chances to see the real thing.  I am sure you know of what I am speaking, the type starts with a big capitol letter with fancy art work, and a lot of gold leaf included.  I did not know that the people writing the script were not the same as the persons who did that one letter with the art work.  Usually they were different people.

First Course in Italy

Last week I happened to see a video made by a person who has, for many years, travelled away from her USA home, and she discussed the differences between Americans and other folks not American.  After living 11 years away from my country I found she was right on in her comparisons and it made me think that I should begin to do the same in this blog.  Today I saw a posting of a meal found in a small restaurant in northern Italy.  The picture of the food was so spot on as to how I see Italians and their food I just had to include it here with a description.  

One large plate, and only half covered with food.  I would bet that if this was served in a Olive Tree restaurant in America, the customer would feel cheated.  You can also note that there is no other food but the one item on the plate, Italians do not like mixing food.  I had a good friend for lunch one day, presenting him with two different types of lasagna. I asked him to try both and tell me which one he liked.  True to Italian for he took one on his plate and started eating.  He finished it and then took some of the 2nd type.  Italians just don't like mixing things much.  If you order a side of veggies, it will come in a separate bowl, never on your plate.   Oh, and there are some really great lasagnas made here, and many do not use red sauce. When you visit, you must try, don't miss out.


Today will be a good day as we will have delivered two large cans of peanut butter.  I know this sounds ridiculous but....it is difficult to find peanut butter in markets here.  If you do find it, it is made using an oil that is not peanut oil, and so besides the over roasted taste, it will not be very soft.  Before covid I would pick up a few cans of peanut butter in the Chinese market in the center of Padova.  Now, I cannot go there due to the pandemic, so we have finally found how to purchase and have it delivered.  The other part of this explanation is that Italians do not eat a big breakfast like Americans.  They don't eat bacon and eggs, omlets, scrambled eggs, pancakes, waffles, etc.  A few of them might eat cereal, but even this area for cereals is small in the super markets.  It's toast and whatever can be spread on top, and peanut butter for us is first choice.  (BTW Many Italians have never tasted peanut butter, seriously.)  I think that many have a quick coffee (smallish) and then head for work, taking a break in mid morning and eating a brioche, which is a fancy sweet roll.  That is their breakfast routine.  I also think that many wake up about 30 minutes before having to leave for work, as they stay up late and need their sleep.   Thus they skip breakfast altogether.  I hope to get feedback on this thought from my Italian friends who read this blog.  

Next week our temperatures will rise into the 60's and remain so for awhile. Spring is arriving.  I will soon see my lizard peeking out from under the sidewalk letting me know I can leave my jacket home.  I wish for you to have a safe Spring, for covid to lessen and for our individual freedom to return.  I am so ready for that!  My fishing pole is ready, my wood carving tools are set to go, and my painting easel is setting by the door.  I have got to get outside.  One year.  One whole year of hiding out.  That is enough for me!

Ciao, David

Some paintings I have finished recently.

Imagine living under a castle



I am thinking to add a tiny mouse

Acrylic Drip Trees

Drip Trees




sketchbook Bled Castle

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally, Starbucks Is Open In Milano

More Things Italian