The Virus in Northern Italy Near Venice

Greetings to all who have taken time to read my blog.  I am near the barricaded village in North Italy called Vo.  It is closed to any persons going in or out by the local police.  It has been closed for over a week now and I think it will remain blocked for a lot more.  There are other villages more near Milano that have the same problem.  The authorities are making an attempt to contain the virus.  No matter where you live, you will eventually be facing the virus and I want to relate to you what is happening here so that you may be more prepared later.

Vo
About ten days ago an older man felt ill and went to the local hospital near where I live.  They knew that the virus had been detected in a few people near Rome, but did not think that this old man had the virus.  The result was that within a short time, this hospital was blocked from entrance or exit because he could have contaminated many people who were not prepared to treat him with the virus.  The photos that we have all seen from China show the multitudes of people on breathing machines, etc.  For sure, Italy is not prepared for this situation and other countries are also in the same boat.  

Schools are closed now in my village and the University in Padova is closed.  Meetings and events have been cancelled. In Venice the Carnival, which is their big event of the year was shut down.  Everyone is giving thought to how to protect the population.  

I believe that the authorities understand that this virus will spread and they are trying to slow it down so that commerce can remain constant.  Factories can stay open, and stores will provide food and other things needed.  My wife works in a fairly large factory and a week ago her department received a memo that said that if anyone was in contact with people who live near Vo, the infected village should stay home at least two days.  Out of the five in her office, two stayed home.  Obviously the person making the memo had not a clue about the virus  as people can be contagious for at least 10 days, if not more.  It has been found that a lady who had it and was released, has been found to have it again.  So how do we deal with this problem?

I have stayed home this week, not going out to my usual coffee bar, and being around people.  We shopped for food and things we need to stock up on last weekend.  There was plenty of food on the shelves, in comparison to what the media is telling you.  I also went out early on Friday morning to the grocery store, the bank o mat, the drug store, my contact lens shop and my vegetable dealer near my home.  The whole thing made me realize it is impossible not to touch things.  For example, getting my change and paper euro bills from the store after my purchase.  My biggest laugh was the touch screen on the bank o mat.  And who put the money into the bank o mat, did they have clean hands?  After all these touches I touch my keys to the car and the house and the gate.  Clearly it is impossible to go out and not touch things that might have the virus.  You will also experience this problem, so give it a thought now, don’t wait.  

Start thinking about the things you will need, like your prescriptions for medicine, you  don’t want to run out and have to go out shopping.  Then there is toilet paper, foods you can put in the freezer, paper towel for drying your hands after coming back from outside (you don’t want to use your cloth towel that will be used later), soap, and so on.  Make a list and consider it awhile.  

When I went out on Friday I can tell you there were less cars on the road, and a lot less people in the big grocery store.  The shelves had plenty of food.  People are more aware on not standing close to others.  You will see this in the check out line.  

And finally I have to admit that I have really become more aware of my touching my own face a lot more.  I caught myself scratching  an itch, or starting to touch my forehead, etc., so many times.  We all do it without thinking.  Your nose and eyes are one way to catch the virus. So beware!  

If it seems like I am a bit paranoid about this, I admit I am trying to stay healthy.  Older people have to be more cautious.  We all await and hope for a vaccine.  I just wonder what it will cost for Americans because the manufacturer will want to make a huge profit. Here in Italy it will be free.  I also wonder how many Americans will be able to pay for hospitalization and the machines to keep them alive as many either have no insurance or will pay a deductible for their care.  This virus is a disaster.  
Good health to all of you.  
Ciao

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally, Starbucks Is Open In Milano

More Things Italian