View Today in Italy

Today is the first day of our 4th week of lockdown.  We self imposed it a week before the government ruled it.  So quickly overnight they would clamp down more and more on movement.  Now we hear that all factories are now closed down unless they make essentials for survival.

I stand at the door of my terrace and it is deathly quiet outside.  There is not even a dog barking.  Nothing moves except the birds that come to my feeder.  I have not heard those bells so famous as a symbol of Italy.  Everyone  is staying inside and waiting.  It will be a long wait.  Longer than we hoped two weeks ago, much longer than we hoped last week.  Months will go by, I believe.  
My village is not large but usually on a Sunday morning at 9:00 we would hear cars moving about.  Italians wake on a  Sunday and go for a ride into the hills.  There are so many quaint restaurants there, and on a Sunday they usually are very busy.  But today, nothing.  The roads and autostrada are like a ghost town.   It is strange to see and feel this difference.


Because no one drives, the air is clear,  I have seen a map of the world showing the diminished smog.  Maybe this is the only positive we can find.  Yet as the blossoms float in the wind hundreds are dying in our hospitals.  The wave is hitting New York and they are not ready.   Everyday more people realize they are infected.  The numbers are growing, not levelling off as hoped.  The virus is highly contagious.  

I fear for the doctors and nurses who work with the sick. Many of them have come down with the virus, themselves.  This means that there are less people to help fight this disease.   This thing will hit fast and quick, like a sandstorm covering everything.  

I read news from the United States.  There is so much “stuff! in the news that is useless.  I am shocked that many people there think this virus is bogus, that it is not strong and will take many lives.  The for profit health system there will fail them.  If it doesn’t kill them, it will crush their family economically.  Those hospital bills will overwhelm them.  

When they loose their homes to pay the bills, the rich will buy up most and control more after.  Reality.

Italians get free health care, free meds.  Everyone has a right to be healthy.  I can only hope this changes for Americans.

If you read this, I am asking you to send me a message every few days that you are ok, or .. how you are coping.  We all need to care for each other.  I worry for you all.  Stay inside.

Buona giornata.   Dave

I  

Comments

Alenka said…
I am OK. Still.
Alenka

Popular posts from this blog

Finally, Starbucks Is Open In Milano

More Things Italian