Italy and the Virus, March 13




 We are having a very quiet day here in my Italian village. The entire country is on lockdown.   Only a few cars have gone by a usual busy street.  Everyone stays home now except for the police, firemen, some factory workers, plumbers, repairmen, transportation workers, and food store employees.  Everyone else going out must have a document with the reason for movement.   One can download the document to fill out and carry with you when you move from the house.  Only one person can go out at a time.   We are allowed to travel to the pharmacy, doctor, or food shops.   Every other type of shop is closed.  More sad news is that over a thousand people have died in Italy with the virus.


I look out my window and see one of my neighbors is making a barbecue and another is doing some repair work in the bathroom.  I have seen others working in their yards preparing their gardens.   Life goes on even when in quarantine.  We sit and look out at the beautiful blossomed trees, white and deep purple.  My ground hog lizard has arrived at his doorway under the sidewalk, but today I think he is not coming out.  I wish all of you could share a cappuccino here right now.  Maybe not at one time, haha.  But it would be interesting for all of us.  I do wonder about the 25 computers in Germany that visit my blog daily.  Who are you?

My best news is that today my wife is working at home.  All of her office colleagues are now doing the same.  Only one person remains at the factory to take care of emergencies.  My wife is a computer IT and she is working on a server breakdown at this moment.  There are a few customer service people still working at the factory office.  All of the people who make parts are still there, with the delivery people.  I am estimating that out of 250 people that normally are there, 80 are now in the entire plant.

Our food stores are not running out of food, I believe most everyone made a large purchase a week ago.  There are few shortages.  One shortage that is serious is that in Milano where there are a lot of sick persons it is being discussed the fact that they might now have enough respirators and so they might have to decide who gets to use one and who will not.  Older people and the very sick  will be on the short end of this I have read.   Another reason for me, an older person,  not to venture out and contact the virus.

Interesting how some countries are keeping secret the report of how many have died, etc.  Other countries are filtering the report by claiming people died of other causes.  We are watching a world wide disaster.  The statistics will later be revealed.  My friends in Turkey, for instance, some of them did not realize anything of this virus.  We have a doctor friend in Russia who reports that there are no masks, suits, etc., and that they are just now getting prepared.  Apparently many Russians think the virus is a hoax.  All this helps us know how valuable the internet is nowadays.    I have just read where 9 Chinese doctors have flown to Rome to help the situation here.  



Good time to pick up a pencil, pen, or paintbrush
Stay busy, craft, knit, stitch sew, carve wood
pick up a book, listen to music
boardgames
I want to end this blog post by urging everyone who reads this to make an effort to help older people prepare and be ready to stay home for a long period of time.  You can make a difference and possibly save a life.  Some grandchildren will know their grandparents better and longer because of you, for instance.  If you do not know how to use Whatsup or other facetime aps for video chats, find out how and practice a few times.  Communication will be needed.   No reason to feel  totally isolated and lonely, you can chat and reassure each other.

If you are feeling worried, take a look at how life goes on here in Italy.  We are all in the same boat now.  These cams have a calming effect on me.

You can watch live what is happening in Venice.  click this link.

Another roving cam with multiple views is.

I wish you all a safe and healthy month.  Ciao

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finally, Starbucks Is Open In Milano

More Things Italian